The CLEAN Carwash Campaign and the United Steelworkers have successfully unionized the following Los Angeles area carwashes. These carwash workers are earning above the minimum wage and are provided with adequate health and safety gear:
- Bonus Carwash
2800 Lincoln Blvd (at Ashland), Santa Monica
- Vermont Carwash
6219 S. Vermont Ave (at Gage), Los Angeles
- Nava’s Carwash
801 W. Florence Ave (at Hoover), Los Angeles
Some of the provisions that the contracts provide:
- Union membership and recognition.
- A grievance and arbitration process for disputes.
- Compliance with all local, state, and federal law labor laws that respect employee wages. This means that employers can no longer pay a daily rate for their employee’s work. Employers must give workers their full wage in accordance to the hours worked.
- A starting wage of 2% above the minimum wage, and a 2% wage increase for workers already making above the minimum wage.
- Compliance with health and safety laws. Employers must supply workers with safety equipment and with drinking water.
- Accommodation for workers dealing with immigration related issues.